.jpg)
Our family, and our friends, the Moores, went backpacking to the Grass Mountain Lakes near McCall in August the weekend of my b-day. The hike was relatively easy considering Sam was carrying a pack with Ryen and gear that totaled just over 60 pounds and I looked like a hammer-head shark with my pack and foam pads that totaled just over 40 pounds. The kids had their own packs (Braden carried 19 pounds, Hansen had 17 pounds and Maren took a backpack of clothes) and never complained one bit on the trail. Ryen even walked the first up-hill part by himself. I was pretty impressed with the attitude of all the kids.
It was the coldest weekend I can remember ever having in August. We planned accordingly with hats, gloves, thermals, etc. The days were fine with long-sleeved shirts/jackets and pants but by dinner time it was cold enough to see our breath. Thank goodness we brought layers. The first thing the kids did was go by the waters' edge to look for frogs. There were tons and they wanted to try their luck at catching some. They caught quite a few but got their feet wet in the process. They had cold feet while waiting for the fire to dry their shoes and socks.
The kids fished and Hansen even caught one (with Miah's help). We went on a hike that turned out to be less than desirable. It was ten times harder than hiking the trail with our packs on. Although I have to admit, the view was spectacular from the top! There is a second lake here and a lily pond that you can only see if you hike up the mountain side. Notice my sunglasses in the family picture. They are no longer mine, but belong to whoever finds them somewhere up the steep mountain side. I didn't notice they fell off and I have no desire to hike back up and find them.
To my surprise, we also celebrated my b-day. Miah carried a whole cake in his pack (I still don't know how it didn't crumble to pieces) and everyone sang Happy Birthday. It was very sweet.
The clouds were pretty low the whole drive up and at one point they opened up to the scene in the photo above. Maren saw this and exclaimed, "Look, I can see the world!"

.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
+(2).jpg)







.jpg)

1 comment:
Man you guys are outdoorsy! How fun! I wish we were! But I would not even know where to start! Cute blog!
Post a Comment