We love sports. We play lots of sports. The two all-time favorites are basketball and soccer. But if you ask Braden which one he loves the very most he will say, "SOCCER". He is so fun to watch. It is the highlight of my weekends during the the Fall and Spring. (Note: I do wish people would limit their littering to the outside of the field, for the sake of photos!)We went to the park a couple weeks ago. Braden and I were playing a little game of soccer. He totally schooled me. I got a few goals but that isn't what I'm talking about. He controlled the ball better and would pivot his body to come between me and the ball then take it away. If I got close to him he would pull the ball back, wait for me to fly on past, then continue his way to the goal. He is so comfortable and confident with a soccer ball.
I heard a mom say that she doesn't believe in putting kids in sports because it gives them the false idea that the world revolves around them; that it is a parent's job to conceed to that child's every wish. I couldn't disagree more! When Braden was younger he would shy away from doing anything where "someone might see him". The first sports teams he was involved in was T-ball and soccer, followed by basketball. At the beginning of each game he would ask how many people were going to be there. That doesn't happen now. He still gets nervous when he has to speak in front of his school class but sports has taught him to work through it. I am so glad he has something that he knows he is good at. I believe it gives him confidence and self-respect.

No comments:
Post a Comment