Tuesday, May 5, 2009

My New Hobby

I have slowly gotten into coupon-ing. It takes some time to keep it organized and find the deals but this has become so important to me that I have decided to focus on it more; a lot more, which is why I am calling it a hobby.

Check out my savings today:
Staples: I spent $17.57, received a $12.58 rebate which made my total cost $4.99.
WinCo: I spent $98.22, used $11.80 in coupons which made my total cost $86.42.
Albertsons: I spent $53.06, used $31.32 in coupons which made my total cost $21.74.
Walgreens: I spent $32.28, used $12.45 in coupons which made my total cost $19.83.
Total Savings: $68.15

My purchases would have cost $201.13. Instead my total came to $132.98. I not only got food items for our menu this week - I also increased our food storage! I was excited to see today's numbers but I totally expect it to be better than this. There is an art to this and I don't have it down 100% yet but I am going to try and make this work. I am really tired of giving my money away for food that disappears to quickly. I joke around that I pay WalMart's power bill each month. I bet if I kept better track of my spending it wouldn't be much of a joke.

If you want more info on how to start this yourself click on the Krazy Coupon Lady link on the right side of my blog. Good stuff!

2 comments:

Hintze Family said...

Yes! Isn't it the best! I have been addicted since January. The beep of coupons bringing down the total is better than the bling, bling ding of slot machines in Vegas. The only problem is so many people are getting into it now, with -with the economy and what not.It makes it harder to get your list some weeks; But, what do I expect, you can't keep anything this good to yourself! Andy says I'm a dork when I come home and do my happy dance, give him my totals, and arrange my loot on the counter to show my spoils! He loves it though. It does take some time to get things organized and more brain power in the store, but well worth it! You go girl!

Lyndsay said...

Good for you, Mashell! I remember getting free cereal when Paul's used to double (Peanut Butter Crunch, Brad's favorite!!), and at WinCo I used to be able to get some killer deals.

However, I agree with the previous poster, I dislike that so many more people are doing it now (that sounds bad, I don't mind people doing it, it's the ones that go and buy 200 boxes of cereal so there's none left for us who just want 10-20), it is getting to be so difficult to get in on the good deals, especially since I just can't go to the store 5 times a week like some people do! I wish I had more time to put into it. Someday, right?!