Sunday, August 24, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!

The last day of the Twin Falls Temple open house was on my birthday. What could be a better way to end the summer than with a road trip? We took off on Friday (but had to wait until 2pm so Sam could have his daily 1/2 price slushy at Sonic on the way out of town).

Our first stop was to get some fried chicken to eat at Shoshone falls. It was running between medium and high so it was quite an amazing site!

After a couple hours at the falls we checked in at the hotel. One of the prerequisites of a hotel stay, for us, is a pool. I forgot to pack my swimming suit and had to run find one. Good thing it's the end of the season and they are on clearance right now!

By 9:00am we were at the temple. All of us were blown away at how beautiful it was. Every detail was taken into account. I loved the placement of the baptismal font, the staircase, the paintings and the overall layout. The feeling there was so peaceful that I could have stayed all day.

However, we had a full day planned. We were going to take the back-roads home and see some of the great sites of western Idaho.










First up was the alligator farm, followed by a drive down the Thousand Springs scenic highway. Sam really wanted to show us Niagra Springs and we had a little trouble finding it. In fact, it took about 2 hours off our drive home. We did find it, however, and it was worth it. Had we not found it, we would have missed the fish hatchery with an underground viewing tank that held a bunch of trout a couple sturgen that were at least 5 or 6-feet long.






















We grabbed some dinner then headed to Bruneau Sand Dunes. What a cool place! These three huge mountains of sand are just sitting on the earth as though they were dumped right from the sky. Sam brought his young men here every year and last year took Braden and Hansen. This my first time seeing it, though.

Poor Ryen . . . he kept putting his face in the sand then would have to sneeze. We were getting sand out of his nose for two days!

It will be hard to top this birthday. I'd better start planning next year's now!

7 comments:

Claire said...

Yes a happy birthday to you. I love all the pictures. I did not realize how much I miss all of my family until I saw the new pictures. Keep em comin!

Audrey said...

I'm with Sam, you've gotta have that 1/2 price slushy from Sonic, their the BEST.

G-mom said...

yay!! love the posts!! your family is so cute!! we got to go up there to the temple too. it was so beautiful. love the karate kid picture of sam!!

Becca & Joel said...

What a cool trip! All the pictures are awesome! Happy birthday, girl!

PS - we contacted Beneficial about wanting to help on the Guatemala trip next year - yet to hear back from anyone. I'm sure they get lots of inquiries, though... if you could have Sam put in a good word for us??? We would just love to go!

Mashell Lungren said...

Speaking of Guatemala, the husband and wife couple that led Choice Humanitarian, that Beneficial partnered up with, died in a plane crash last Sunday. It was quite a shock to us and very, very sad. The problem is that Beneficial doesn't know exactly how this will effect next year's trip. That is probably why you haven't heard back from them. I will try to keep you posted! It would be fun to have you with us there.

Stjerne said...

What beutiful pictures!!! Happpy Birthday. I love your blog. You have a way cute family.

Darci said...

Happy Birthday to you!!!! Looks like you had a great one. How are things up north?