Monday, July 21, 2008

Enjoying Our Labors



We have lived in this house since Hansen was a baby (6-years now). We weren't aware when we purchased the house that our property would include up to 1/2 way through the ditch. What in the world would we do with this big patch of weeds we now own? The logical answer was to plant a garden in that space. It has taken years to get the ground cleared and prepped and this is the first year we actually planted anything edible. Sam said if we get just one green plant, he would be happy with our efforts. I was much more hopeful and relieved this morning to see some corn stalks with tassels, a 2-inch zucchini and a couple green tomatoes and an orange one. Although we had to re-plant the potatoes 3 times, they are also now starting to show growth. This is so rewarding.

Because of the ditch, we often have ducks that visit. Early in the spring Green Bill and Cutie Pie brought ducklings by. Those babies are now "teenageers", as my kids call them. We have catered to them a little bit by purchasing bird seed and putting it out every morning or evening. I thought it was for the kids but I have found that one of my favorite things to do is sit on the porch once the kids are in bed and relax while watching the ducks.

These pictures are of Braden, Hansen and Maren waiting for the ducks one morning.



3 comments:

Becca & Joel said...

Oh Mashell! I just can't even believe how big Maren is! She was smaller than you 1 year old last I saw you, I can't believe it's really been that long! Love the garden! Isn't it the best feeling ever when harvest time rolls around? I soooo miss the green belt... how cool you have your private on in the back. Do they mess with your veggies?

lavendergrl said...

Awww! That's just precious. We go to Petsmart to see wildlife. :P

You know, every so often I miss gardening. Especially with the economy as it is. Good for you for doing this. I agree that watching produce grow is quite rewarding. And yummy!

Claire said...

Mash, you are amzing. A freakin garden!!! Make me look like a fool, I can't even keep a house plant alive. Marens hair is so long and so is yours. Looks great!