
I find that if I keep my kids busy with a routine schedule each day during the summer I become less of a referree and we all enjoy each other more. We turn off the TV and do things to keep busy. Each day we do jobs, exercise, lunch at the park, school work, etc. Each week we have a day set for the library, free movies at Edwards, a cooking day, a craft day and a field trip day (this is in addition to basketball and soccer camps and swimming lessons). I planned to start our schedule after the first weekend out of school but the kids were so bored that we decided to start early with our first field trip to the zoo and a "school's out" party on Friday. It takes a lot of effort and planning but the payoff is when I get comments like these from my 9-year old:
- "Mom, thanks for taking us to the zoo. I don't know many moms that do this for their kids. We sure are lucky to have you as a mom." or,
- "Mom, thanks for doing school work with us during the summer. I love going to school and already knowing the new stuff the teacher is teaching. I know that is why I am as smart as I am."
How can I not keep going after that? It makes all the time and effort worth it.
Our zoo recently added an African Plains Exhibit. What a welcome change that is! It is so cool to see new animals. Our favorites were the lions, giraffes, eagles, penguins, tigers and monkeys. (If you are counting kids and wonder how I could possibly have five it's because my niece, Shay was staying with us this week.)

.jpg)


No comments:
Post a Comment