Monday, March 2, 2009

The Great Fire of '09

















I think our fridge is not going to work the same as before. -Sam

It is never fun to wake up to a fire. Especially if it's your own! The boys were up first and were wondering why it sounded like fireworks were going off behind the fridge. Sam smelled smoke and ran down stairs to check it out. He could see flames coming out from under the fridge, quickly pulled the fridge out, unplugged it and tried to blow the flames out. When they got larger he grabbed the fire extinguisher and sprayed. We opened up all the doors and windows to air out the stink of melted wires and metal.

Reasons we are lucky:

1. It didn't happen 1-hour earlier when we were all still asleep.
2. The fire extinguisher spray vacuumes up decently easy; followed by a little mopping.
3. Our sweet neighbors weren't at work and had plenty of space in their fridge to accomodate all our food.
4. We saved 5% on the price of a new fridge by knowing someone that works at RC Willey. (Thank goodness he is well liked there!)
5. RC Willey had a fridge that would fit in our existing space and it could even be delivered today!
6. Only by inspiration, tonight's dinner was put together yesterday afternoon and waiting in the neighbor's fridge for us to bake it tonight.
7. The black burn spots on the floor actually wiped right off.
8. Sam was able to re-arrange his schedule and help me take care of this!

Oh, did I mention I signed up to feed the missionaries tonight? If dinner wasn't already made I'm not sure what I would have done. The kitchen and dinning room area needed a serious wipe-down because of all the white powder from the fire extinguisher and black ash-like floaties that landed wherever they could find a home. The boys had started to unload the dishwasher and black ash/powder were coating the clean dishes too. They had to be re-washed.

The plans for a new fridge was definately the last thing on our "list of things to buy". And, as luck would have it, we finish paying for Sam's lasik surgery in March. I guess we can just transfer the lasik money to make fridge payments. Grrr!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm so glad nobody was hurt and everything worked out okay! What a blessing...
I still think you could've gotten out of feeding the missionaries under the circumstances. :-)

Claire said...

Sweet fridge! My hot iron caught on fire yesterday too. I was able to call the company so they are sending me a replacement for 8 bucks, so no major money loss for me. So I guess you win, your Monday sparks were more expensive.

Hintze Family said...

Wow you are really lucky! That could have been a lot worse! whew!

My Father-in-Law claims that the Devil lives in all automobiles and major appliances. I think he is right.

AproudMommy said...

Amazing story, it is a blessing that everyone is safe!! You are an amazing woman Mashelle!! I love the fridge, it looks very nice in your space.