Monday, May 5, 2008

Tikal, Guatemala

We had taken the time to view pictures of the Tikal ruins online before we left but the way we envisioned it was still different that what we experienced. We didn't imagine we would have to walk nealry 5 miles in order to see all the ruins. It was also a surpise to us that you couldn't see the ruins from the parking lot. There is so much vegetation; lots of tall, tall trees and brush. We probably walked a good 1/2 a mile or so before rounding a corner on the trail and, BOOM, there was the first ruin. We couldn't help but feel we were on holy ground as we looked sky-ward at these temples.

The Mayan people were very good at Astronomy (the placement of the temples were so perfectly placed that the shadow cast at the Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter Soltices would line up perfectly with each corner of the building), Mathematics and Architecture (They had to know what base-size would best support the height they were trying to acheive, considering their building material of soft limestone.) The tallest temple was Temple 4 with a height of 230 feet, or 22 stories.

I was so amazed to learn that not all of the ruins of Tikal, and other parts of Guatemala, are uncovered yet. There are so many mounds that are actually ruins still covered in earth, brush and trees (with shallow, surface-growing roots). There simply isn't the funding available to un-earth them all and then keep them safe.






4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, Mashell, thanks for posting your pictures! What a great experience you guys had! We'd love to do that someday also.....
I love seeing your pictures, I'm sure this is a place that will be hard to forget!
Ann

Anonymous said...

Well Hello Mash! I can't believe it's taken you so long to make it to the blogosphere. . . have you been living under a rock in Guatemala? Just checking! We'll have to be blog buddies!!! Yeah us!

G-mom said...

wow. sam told us some of what you did, but you gave great descriptions, and took some beautiful pictures!! Glad you are safe. Good job. I bet that was a spiritual experience as well. we have so much to be grateful for!!
talk to you soon. glad you could join the blogging world.

Debra Sipiora said...

Thank You, for sharing your pictures and experiences of your trip. What a wonderful gift for all concerned. You are much braver than I. I don't think I could pull a tooth. Especially, one that had broken off. Scarey!!

This my first blog ever!! Had to register to do this!! I am proud of you!! Debra Sipiora