Friday, October 28, 2011

My Grandpa (January 2011)

We found out in Sept or Oct, 2009 that my grandpa had cancer. It was spreading quickly and he was given a few months to live. I wanted to get my kids down to see him and was worried that January might be too late. He held on for us though and we got to say good-bye.


My dad asked me a couple years ago if I would help him compile my grandpa's life history. My dad asked him questions and recorded the sessions. I typed it and compiled it into two books. It was a great opportunity for me to really get to know my grandpa. I was amazed at how sharp his memory was. He could remember names of friends, teachers, neighbors and pets from childhood. He also remembered amazing details about stories from his childhood and teenage years. I'm glad my dad asked me to help him with that project so I could have stories and examples to pass on to my kids. My grandpa had a tough life but what he never let it get him down. He wore a smile, looked on the bright side and assumed all would work out as it was supposed to.



No comments: